The Flannan Isles, situated among the Outer Hebrides, close to the island of Lewis and Harris, and also known as The Seven Hunters, are rather small, isolated and sometimes used for grazing sheep. They were apparently named after Irish abbot and preacher St Flannan, although speculations and uncertainties do exist regarding that fact. As well as the origin of their name, their history is also engulfed in mystery and abundant theories following the disappearance of three lighthouse keepers in December 1900 – their death was largely attributed to very high waves as part of the island was very affected by a risen sea level. The islands themselves, as follows, Eilean Mor, the largest among all seven and which hosts the lighthouse, Eilean Taighe, the second largest, which prehistoric archeological vestiges can be found on, whilst the western group is made up of three islands, Brona Cleit, Eilean a’Gobha and Roaireim, the latter comprising a natural rock arch.
The wildlife is rich and diverse, especially in terms of bird species (mainly sea birds such as fulmars and puffins, which are to be seen on all Scottish islands) and sea life, such as dolphins. On Eilean Mor, beside the lighthouse you can visit St Flann’s Chapel, whilst on Eilean Taighe the main tourist attraction consists of the ruins of a very old house (the island’s name meaning “House Island”). The main reason people get interested in the Flannan Islands though is the mysterious event which has not to this day been elucidated beyond doubt.